Ace cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and Vikram Pawah, (President-BMW India) today launched the all new BMW 5 series in Mumbai amidst a thunderous applause from the audience. The 7th generation 5 series made a global debut last year which also marked 100 years of BMW’s existence. It draws inspiration from the much larger 7 series and is the most progressive sports-business sedan with athletic design, powerful dynamics, unparalleled agility and superior comfort.
The 5 series has always been very popular in BMW’s product line and has registered a 30% share of the total sales of the company in India so far. The company has managed to shave off 70 kgs of the new 5 series, thanks to CLAR platform which uses high strength elements that are comparatively light weight.
While addressing the gathering, Mr. Vikram Pawah, President, BMW Group India said, “The BMW 5 Series is the most successful business sedan on the planet. It brings together sporting agility, presence and comfort like no other vehicle. With the new generation of the car we are once again setting the benchmark in all areas; it combines dynamic excellence and comfort to the best possible effect. Plus, the all-new 5 Series Sedan is at the leading edge of technology when it comes to driver assistance and connectivity. So it promises to remain the most successful business sedan in the market.”
Mr. Vikram Pawah further added, “With the all-new BMW 5 Series, expect nothing less. The unique combination of elegant and dynamic design, intelligent BMW technologies and innovative control concepts in the all-new BMW 5 Series, means you can absolutely enjoy your drive. Fuelled by top performers, it combines outstanding output with powerful athletics and reaches all destinations with efficiency and purpose. It is time to discover ultimate driving pleasure with a true business athlete: the all-new BMW 5 series.”
The new BMW 5 Series is offered in three engine configurations – a 520i with a 2.0-litre petrol engine, a 520d with a 2.0-litre diesel engine and a 530d with a 3.0-litre diesel engine, all connected to an eight-speed automatic gearbox. The 530d is available in two variants – Luxuryline and M Sport. It will primarily compete against the Mercedes Benz E Class, Audi A6 & Jaguar XF.
Prices for the range are as follows (ex-showroom Delhi)
- Rs 49,90,000 for 520i Sport Line
- Rs 49,90,000 for 520d Sport Line
- Rs 53,60,000 for 530d Luxury Line
- Rs 61,30,000 for 530d M Sport
Some key features of the new 5 Series are listed below
- The new BMW 5 Series Sedan is 30mm longer than the outgoing model 7.62 mm wider and 15.24mm taller. Its wheelbase measures 2974.34mm, an increase of 5mm
- Range topping 530i generates 335hp and accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds
- It sports the latest version of Gesture control as an option
- A super luxurious cabin with 10.25cm Touch-screen, Voice command and Navigation, Cruise control, Automatic climate control, Bluetooth telephony, Dynamic cruise control, Active cruise control with Stop & Go etc.
- Engines are mated to an 8-speed ZF gearbox transmitting power to the rear wheels
- Safety package includes 6 air bags, ABS with Brake assist, Dynamic stability control, Cornering brake control & Hill descent control
- The new range will be offered in three design packages – Sport line, Luxury line and M Sport
- Rear passengers get two 10-inch touch-screens for personal infotainment
- Bigger cabin with more headroom and shoulder room, and increased boot space
- Bowers & Wilkins 16-speakers system with 10-channel amplifier is a part of standard package
- Dakota and Nappa leather seats, which are electrically adjustable and come with massage function
- Four-zone climate control with air ionization
- Adaptive LED lights, anti-dazzle high-beam and LED DRLs
- 360-degree camera, wireless phone charging and remote parking with the BMW display key
- All variants also come with adaptive suspension with independent damping
Local assembly of the new 5 Series commenced at the Chennai plant earlier this month and deliveries will commence from July onwards.
# # # PHOTO GALLERY # # #