German luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz commences the ‘Year of Excellence’ on a high note with the launch of all New S-Class luxury sedan. 2013 marked the Year of Offensive’ with more 6 big launches from Mercedes-Benz India.
Acclaimed as the “best car in the world” by critics and media the new S-Class has set a new benchmark in the uber luxury premium segment. The bookings for the S-Class began in December and the company has managed to sell-out the first allocation of 125 cars in 16 days after launch announcement. Bookings now open for April 2014 delivery.
The S-Class is priced at Rs. 1.575 crores (One Crore Fifty Seven Lacs and Fifty Thousand Rupees) ex-showroom Delhi.
Mercedes-Benz has introduced the S500 in the Indian market as a CBU and will introduced the locally assembled S350 & S350CDI in the second half of 2014. Featuring the S500 is a 4.6 litre V8 engine mated to a 7G-TRONIC PLUS 7 speed automatic transmission, which churns out 338kw @ 5250- 5500 rpm and 700Nm torque @1800-3500rpm and accelerates from 0-100 in 4.8 seconds with a top speed of 250km/hr electronically limited.
The exterior design is simply fantastic with flowing contours, dropping lines that descend elegantly from the front to rear and the large grille with four louvers clubbed with the three-dimensional design of the chrome trim and grille interior. The design is further accentuated with LED contoured headlamps and the beautiful panoramic sunroof. The S-Class boasts world’s first – All LED lighting systems in the cars exterior & interior.
The interiors offer a true sense of luxury with a combination of wood and high quality materials. Some interesting comfort & convenience features:
- Seven colour ambient lighting with a choice of five dimming options,
- Two high-resolution TFT screens
- Multi-function two-spoke steering wheel that offers all controls at one go.
- High performance Burmester 3D surround sound system with 24 speakers, nine tweeters integrated in the instrument panels, doors, parcel shelf and roof lining along with the 24 channel amplifier with an output of 1540 watts
- Two temperature controlled cup holders with dimmed interior illumination
- Stowage compartment with a 12V socket,
- Two USB ports and aux-in socket in conjunction with individual entertainment systems in the rear
- COMAND online NTG5 in the S-Class comes with animated menus and 3D effects,
- HDD to store music and videos, WLAN hotspot, SMS display, phone contact reader, radio and navigation
The S-Class offers power packed hot stone massage function with six different programs ranging from relaxing and stimulating to an energizing effect. Occupants can choose from two intensities – low and high and the seat backrest comes with a massage mat with 14 air chambers which can be inflated or deflated via fast responding solenoid valves, developing a wave-like massage effect. The massage function can be operated via remote with durations ranging from 12 – 15 minutes.
In terms of safety the car is loaded with features like:
- AIRMATIC suspension which ensures smooth ride quality
- 360 degree surround view camera along with Night View Assist
- Active Park Assist automatically steers the vehicle into parking spaces,
- ESP with 8 airbags and PRE Safe assure driver and passenger safety, while the brake assist offers better control during emergency braking.
- Adaptive Brakes with HOLD function, ASR and Hill Start Assist.
The Keyless-GO package with hands free access allows hands-off, fully automatic opening and closing of the boot lid.
The new S-Class also comes with a Chauffeur package, which creates up to 77mm more rear leg room on the front passenger side with electrically extending footrest and has easy adjust luxury head restrains for driver and passenger. (This feature is also available on the Toyota Camry Hybrid as a standard)
Mercedes–Benz will offer a unique chauffeur training program. This will involve comprehensive training for chauffeurs on the S-Class technology and lifestyle features so that they can offer complete luxury driving experience to S-Class owners.
The S-Class comes with power packed technology which also includes the “Mercedes-Benz Touch” mobile app. compatible for android operating systems, which allows passengers to control different vehicle functions such as seat heating, massage, music and other entertainment in the car via their mobile phones.