America’s first motorcycle company, Indian Motorcycle which is a subsidiary of Polaris Industries has made its debut in the Indian market. Polaris, the world leader in off-road and All-Terrain Vehicles launched their brand in 2011. With the launch of Indian Motorcycles the company made its entry into the motorcycle segment in India.
Founded in 1901, Indian Motorcycle has won the hearts of motorcyclists around the world and earned distinction as one of America’s most legendary and iconic brands. The Indian Motorcycle brand was revived after it was acquired by Polaris in 2011 and the new range was introduced in August 2013.
The entire Indian Motorcycle’s Chief range –Indian® Chief® Classic, Indian® Chief® Vintage and Indian® Chieftain™ have been introduced in India. The range will be sold through completely-built-up (CBU) route.
The ex-showroom prices (Delhi) are as follows:
Indian Chief Class: Rs. 26.5 lakhs
Indian Chief Vintage: Rs. 29.5 lakhs
Indian Chieftain: Rs. 33 lakhs
The Chief range is powered by a new Thunder Stroke 111 engine that churns out 139 Nm of torque at 2600 rpm.
Indian Motorcycle Thunder Stroke 111™ Engine Specifications:
- Engine: Thunder Stroke 111(1,811 cc)
- Torque: 139 Nm of torque at 2600 rpm
- Architecture: 49-degree V-twin, air-cooled with integrated oil cooler, left-side air intake, down firing exhaust system, parallel pushrod tubes
- Crankcase: Unit design featuring a high capacity semi-dry sump oil system, oversized oil radiator
- Timing System: 3 camshafts, pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder acting through maintenance-free hydraulic valve lifters, forged crankshaft
- Fuel System: Electronic sequential port fuel injection and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- Compression Ratio: 9.5: 1
- Transmission: 6-speed overdrive, constant mesh, helical gearbox
- Clutch: Low-effort, multi-plate wet clutch, aluminum basket, integral torsional damper
The Indian brand is positioned in the upper end of premium Cruiser motorcycle segment and will compete with the likes of Harley Davidson & Triumph.
Indian Chief Class USPs
- Classic, heritage styling
- Premium materials and finish
Indian Chief Vintage USPs
- Signature storage capability
- Iconic Styling
- Genuine Leather
Indian Chieftain USPs
- Advanced Technology
- Comfort & Protection
- Progressive Styling